Tips to Lower Your Energy Bill
High electric bills can present quite a burden for any individual or family. We at South Jersey Energy Service Plus (SJESP) can offer helpful tips to reduce energy use and lower your bill, even in summer or winter months when energy use typically reaches all-time highs.
To speak with an HVAC expert in South Jersey, call our office today!
Minimize energy use
You can use less energy by taking a number of relatively simple measures that can quickly become energy-saving habits:
- Use dimmer switches, so you only use as much light as you need.
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Try not to keep fridge and freezer doors open longer than necessary.
- Unplug electronics when they are not in use.
- Line dry your laundry when the weather permits.
- Use ceiling fans so your air conditioner doesn’t have to work as hard to cool your home.
- Close curtains and blinds on hot, sunny days to keep your home cool.
- Use LED lightbulbs instead of incandescent lights. LEDs use 90% less energy.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater.
- Wash your laundry in cold water, and only wash full loads.
- In cold weather, lower your thermostat at night and pile on the blankets instead.
Take Advantage of Off-Peak Hours
Most counties offer cheaper electric rates during off-peak hours. You can take advantage of this by using appliances when rates are the lowest. Run your dishwasher and do your laundry at night and you might experience energy savings.
Keep Your Home Heating and Cooling Systems Properly Maintained
Regular maintenance of all of your home’s major systems can make sure they are working properly and therefore as efficiently as possible. This may include heating and cooling systems, water heaters and other appliances that use considerable amounts of electricity.
Upgrade Your Appliances
If your appliances are in need of an upgrade, upgrading to energy-efficient appliances can save you money in the long run on your electric bill. Look for ENERGY STAR® models, which use far less energy than older appliances.
To learn more, call (844) 626-6619. Our South Jersey heating and cooling professionals are here to help.